July 12 - 13 Triad Conference Wrap-Up
The Spring Triad Conference was held July 12 - 13, 2018, on Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay and hosted by The Camden Partnership and the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies and GeoStrategic Analysis. This is only the second TRIAD conference to be held in Kings Bay and locally hosted by The Camden Partnership; the first was in November of 2013.
The title of the conference was “Explaining and Implementing the Fourth Nuclear Posture Review” and its purpose was to provide an unclassified forum for policymakers and experts to discuss the Administration's FY 2019 budget request for strategic forces, the requirements and the policy initiatives contained in the 2018 Nuclear Policy Review, continuities with past nuclear policy, and new initiatives designed to strengthen deterrence.
There were attendees from the Navy and the Air Force, from four embassies: the United Kingdom, Brussels, Japan and Croatia; there were congressional staff from six states: Oregon, Nebraska, Florida, New Jersey, Indiana and Georgia. And our state representative John Corbett, incoming State Representative Steven Sainz and Senator William Ligon attended. Mayor John Morrissey and Mayor Pro Tem Jim McClain joined us.
Our own U.S. Senators Johnny Isakson and David Perdue (SASC) and Congressman Buddy Carter sent videos or letters to be read. They were joined by Georgia Representative for Georgia’s 10th Congressional District and a member of the House Armed Services Committee (HASC) Jody Hice also sent a video.
• General John Hyten, USSTRATCOM
• Vice Admiral Johnny Wolfe, SSP
• Rear Admiral John Tammen, OPNAV N97
• Rear Admiral Jeff Jablon, Commander, Submarine Group Ten
• Vice Admiral (ret) Al Konetzni, Former SUBPAC
• Brigadier General US Air Force (ret) Roger Burg
• Ambassador Robert Joseph – National Institute for Public Policy
• Ambassador Ronald Lehman -Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
• Rick Fisher, International Assessment and Strategy Center
• Steve Blank American Foreign Policy Council
• Dr. Jamie Morin, Center for Space Policy and Strategy
Industry speakers were:
• Will Lennon, Vice President General Dynamics Electric Boat
• General Dynamics Mission Systems
• Doug Graham, Vice President, Advanced Program Development Lockheed Martin
• Carol Erikson, Vice President, GBSD Northrop Grumman
We had 22 defense contractors attending as well as several government agencies, and representatives from several colleges: Coastal Pines Technical College, Georgia Southern University George Washington University and Brenau University. Chambers Presidents from Minot, North Dakota, along with our own Chamber President attended.
Yes, such a varied group – different uniforms, different faces, difference backgrounds, different states but all with the same purpose: to share knowledge and to discuss the adversaries and potential adversaries and learn more about our nuclear deterrents.
The Camden Partnership is grateful for all the support given by the community. Over 50 individuals participated in support of the TRIAD: From greeting our VIPs and escorting them from the airport to Camden County, editing and printing the program, decorating and preparing the facility for the events, checking in everyone, greeting guests and discussing with them the wonderful potential Camden has for our defense contractors – so many opportunities for Camden County to show off our state and welcoming community as #1 for doing business. We were pleased to share with them information on our SPACEPORT and the potential it brings to our County and to show them what EDICCIMAD really means.