Does Water Damage Cause Mold?

Water damage left untreated will definitely cause mold. Mold spores are everywhere and damp surfaces attract it. when water damage is there, mold attaches and grows. Mold will start to grow around 24 hours after water is left there and home is not completely dry. For best results, get a professional to get water damage completely dry, and remove the mold. Typical fans and shop vacuums won’t do the trick. If you do it yourself, and do it wrong the mold spores will spread through the rest of the house, and you could possibly inhale some. Mold has to be removed, it will never dry up and die.

There are over 100,000 types of mold, and most are harmless. Black mold is the most dangerous. There are 5 categories of dangerous molds:

1. Cladosporium.
2. Pencillium.
3. Fusarium.
4. Asperilgus.
5. Stachybotrys.

Just because mold looks like it’s black, doesn’t necessarily mean that it is. If you have mold in your house, remove yourself until the mold is gone. It can cause permanent or long term health problems.

If you choose not to get a Professional in Phoenix, and you want to remove it yourself, these products will help you:

1. Bleach.
2. Borax.
3. Vinegar.
4. Ammonia.
5. Hydrogen Peroxide.
6. Detergent.
7. Baking Soda.
8. Tea Tree Oil.

If you are cleaning your carpets yourself, add a little white vinegar to wash water. It will prevent mold. Vinegar is better than bleach, because it is gentler on carpets and won’t fade the color. There has also been some claims that bleach causes mold to come back with a vengeance, and because of this use vinegar to clean other surfaces as well. Mold that is left to grow can rot wood, and cause indoor pollutants, which can lead to lung problems. Otherwise hire a Phoenix mold removal company to get the job done right.

Here are some tips to stop it from growing:

1. Dry the water off right away.
2. Pay attention to musty odors.
3. Look for anything suspicious outside in yard around the house.
4. Throw away all damaged material.

Mold needs 4 things to make it thrive:

1. It needs water.
2. Starchy or sugary food.
3. Temperature between 41-104 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Oxygen

Here are 10 tips to prevent mold:

1. Control indoor moisture.
2. Get a large bathroom exhaust fan.
3. Buy a humidity sensor.
4. Make sure shower is dry after every use.
5. Clean any mold you see right away.
6. Paint with “Mildewcide” paint.
7. Stop leaks.
8. Clean up quickly.
9. Be safe when removing belongings out of water.
10. Turn off water when you go on a trip.

Any time there is water where it shouldn’t be, or excess moisture, there is going to be mold. It can come from:

1. Sheetrock in walls.
2. Upholstery.
3. Ceiling tiles.
4. Wood beams.
5. Wallpaper.
6. Carpet.
7. Padding underneath carpet.
8. Vinyl floors.
9. Curtains and drapes.
10. Cabinets.
11. Appliances.

There are also some health risks, which can be serious:

1. Coughing and wheezing, especially harmful to asthma patients.
2. Sinus infections.
3. Skin rashes.
4. Headaches, sometimes severe.
5. Fatigue.
6. Nosebleeds.
7. Dizziness.
8. Memory loss.
9. Mild fever.

Be on the alert for running water sounds, discolorations on walls and ceilings, and musty smells.

There are 3 classifications of harmful molds:

1. Allergenic mold.
2. Pathogenic mold.
3. Toxigenic mold.

What is mold, exactly? It is a type of fungus that has microscopic organisms. The colors of it can be white, black, orange, green, and purple. To get rid of it permanently and naturally, use 1 part baking soda to 5 parts white vinegar and 5 parts water.